Radiation Therapy Techniques
The Ballarat Austin Radiation Oncology Centre (BAROC) is a partnership between Austin Health and Ballarat Health Services (BHS) that provides Radiation Therapy services to the Ballarat and Grampians region. Find out more about Radiation Therapy.
Radiation Therapy techniques
At BAROC, we offer the latest radiotherapy treatment techniques and use the most advanced technology to provide the best care. These include:
- External 3D Conformal Radiation Therapy (3DCRT): a technique where the radiation treatment is shaped to the tumour and avoids healthy tissues.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT): X-ray imaging used to ensure your treatment is given accurately.
- Deep Inspiration Breath Hold (DIBH): a technique used mostly for left-sided breast cancer treatment. It enables us to treat the breast tissue while minimising doses to the heart.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): a technique that allows the dose to be sculpted around the tumour, minimising the impact on nearby healthy tissues
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT): a technique that reduces the daily treatment time for patients. With VMAT, the radiation dose is continuously delivered as the treatment machine rotates around the patient.
- Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiotherapy (SABR): a highly-focused treatment delivery: very high doses to small, early-stage lung cancers and lung metastases.
- Hypo-fractionated Prostate Radiotherapy: a higher dose of radiation is given per treatment, which reduces treatment for prostate cancer from 8 weeks to 4 weeks.
- Hydrogel SpaceOAR© for Prostate Radiotherapy: insertion of a water-based gel between the prostate and rectum to create a gap, and reduce side effects of radiation therapy to the lower bowel during treatment.
- Superficial Radiotherapy (delivered in Stawell): x-ray therapy used to treat skin cancers and some non-cancerous skin conditions.-link to SAROS website-https://www.onjcancercentre.org/radiation-therapy/stawell-austin-radiation-oncology-service
- Clinical Trials-List Active Clinical Trials- BAROC routinely participates in oncology clinical trials, current trials being run are:
- Keynote (Lung)
- NINJA (Prostate)
For more information regarding the suitability of these options for your treatment, please contact the team at BAROC.
More about Radiation Therapy
Find out more about Radiation Therapy.
1 Drummond Street North
Ballarat VIC 3350
Enter off Sturt Street for BRICC
Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm
03 5320 4174
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.