Medical Students - Summer Placement
Medical students from Universities around Australia may have, as a part of their medical course, the opportunity to spend some time in another health service in a clinical area of interest to them. These rotations are often called "elective' terms.
Our program for the 2023/2024 Summer placement has now OPEN.
The available dates this year are 5 to 16 December 2023, and 2 to 12 January 2024. We are also exploring the option of a limited 3-week option from 5-22 December 2023.
Please complete the Micrsoft form to register your interest through the Link
Application will close at the end of June; places are limited and first in best dressed.
You will be notified in August if you have been successful.
Medical Student Placement
Grampians Health Ballarat can offer experiences across a variety of clinical areas for elective placements requested by medical students. The clinical areas may include:
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Intensive Care Unit
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Specialised Medicine (Cardiology, Oncology, Geriatrics, Rehabilitation)
- Specialised Surgery (Urology, ENT, Orthopaedics)
Exposure to working in a major regional hospital offers many opportunities for medical student including:
- More "hands on" experience
- The opportunity to work closely with interns, and
- The exposure to a wide variety of clinical problems across a broad spectrum of patients
When can I apply for a work experience placement?
Applications for open in March each year and close in June.
Placements are offered in August, with all paperwork to be submitted in September.
October second round offers will be made with all paperwork to be submitted within 2 weeks.
Conditions of participation
Our program is offered to students who have successfully completed their second year of study at an Australian University or International University
How long are work experience placements?
Placements are for a minimum of two weeks between Monday to Friday, hours will vary dependent on the department.
When do placements occur?
Placements will occur from the end of November through to the middle of January. Generally they are for two weeks.
- Student Placement Agreement (Signed by your University) and Schedule 3
- Medical Student Details Form and Internal consent
- Immunisation Checklist
- Police check within 12 months of commencement date
- Victorian Working with Children
- Statement of Privacy and Confidentiality
- 100 points of ID
- Photo (to be distributed to placement team)
- Any additional paperwork required by your university
- COVID - 19 Immunisation status
- Fit test (mask fitting) completed within last 12 months
- Hand Hygiene certificate completed within last 12 months
- Student Placement Agreement
- Schedule 3 (upon acceptance of offer, Supervisors name and contact details will be emailed out)
- Internal Consent
- Immunisation Checklist
- Privacy, Confidentiality & Information Security Agreement
- Ballarat - Accommodation Request Form
These documents should be sent to Student Credentialing Officer, Chief Medical Office, Grampians Health, BRICC L4, PO Box 577, Ballarat, Victoria, 3353, or emailed to email@example.com
Accommodation may be available through the Melbourne University Rural Clinical School, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Grampians Health Ballarat also has accommodation available for medical students. Places are limited and are on a first come, first serve basis.
To obtain information about Grampians Health accommodation at our Ballarat site you can contact the Grampians Health Ballarat Accommodation manager on 5320 4556 or email email@example.com
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.