Our Breastfeeding Service provides specialized support and information to parents on all aspects of breastfeeding and infant feeding.
What do we do?
The Breastfeeding Service offers breastfeeding and infant feeding information and support to women and their families. The service is staffed by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC’s) who are qualified to provide specialist breastfeeding and infant feeding advice, support and counselling. We support women who are experiencing breastfeeding difficulties or those who just want reassurance and advice about breastfeeding or infant feeding.
We hold monthly breastfeeding information sessions for pregnant women, their partners and other support people such as grandparents. We also have online breastfeeding and infant feeding information available – see useful resources below.
What can you expect?
One of our Lactation Consultants can see you in person, speak with you on the phone or do a Telehealth Consultation. Support and advice is available for a range of issues such as:
Advice during pregnancy
- Previous breast surgery
- Previous difficulties with breastfeeding
- Medications and breastfeeding
- Multiple pregnancy
- Baby with a cleft lip and/or palate or other medical issues
- Diabetes and breastfeeding
- Anything else which might cause breastfeeding challenges
Support after your baby is born
- Positioning and attachment skills
- Establishing your milk supply, concerns about milk supply
- Concerns about baby’s weight
- Expressing breast milk
- Working and breastfeeding
- Medications and breastfeeding
- Feeding support for mothers with preterm or unwell babies
- Feeding support for twins or triplets
- Baby with cleft lip and/or palate or other medical issues
- Sore nipples, blocked ducts and mastitis
- Breast and nipple thrush
- Tongue-tie assessment
- Support if you or your baby are admitted to hospital for any reason
Who do we care for?
Anyone can access the service even if you did not give birth at Grampians Health Ballarat and it does not matter how old your baby is. We care for women and babies as outpatients OR if you or your baby are in hospital.
We can support women and babies in all hospital areas:
- Maternity Ward
- Special Care Nursery
- Children’s ward
- Emergency Department
- General surgical and medical wards
- Mental health services
- Mother and Family Unit
- Intensive Care Unit
- Outpatient clinics
How can you access the service?
Our service is available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm. Phone 03 5320 4977 / 03 5320 6871 or mobile 0439 981 937.
Medicine Advisory Information for Breastfeeding Mothers
Royal Women’s Hospital Medicines Information Line
- Ph.03 8345 3190
- Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
Monash Health Drug Information Centre
- Ph.03 9594 2361
- Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm
Positioning & Attachment Videos
Australian Breastfeeding Association Videos
Maternity Outpatients Department
1011 Mair Street
Ballarat VIC 3350
Mobile 0439 981 937 or (03) 5320 4533
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm by appointment only.
Corner Sturt and Albert Street
Ballarat Central VIC 3350
Mobile 0439 981 937 or (03) 5320 6871
Thursdays 9.00am - 4.00pm by appointment only.
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.