Healthy Weight Management Program
The Healthy Weight Management Program is an evidence-based program to support adults to develop helpful patterns of thinking and behaviour to better manage their weight.
What do we do?
The Healthy Weight Management Team includes three key clinicians:
- Clinical psychologist
- Exercise physiologist
The aims of the program are to:
- Improve clients’ knowledge and understanding of weight.
- Assist clients to develop individualised plans and strategies to manage their weight
- Promote healthier eating habits and increased physical activity
- Support clients to develop a healthier relationship with their body and mind.
- Improve clients’ well-being and confidence in their ability to self-manage their health.
Who are our clients?
This program provides options for adults who have had difficulty in managing their weight.
Inclusion criteria = BMI >35kg/m2 and/or significant co-morbidities. We accept referrals from GPs and other health professionals.
What can clients expect?
A member of the Healthy Weight Management Program will contact clients upon receipt of a referral to discuss the program and invite them to attend the initial Why Weight Program.
Currently the program is running online.
- 5 hour introductory education session.
- Provides an overview of weight management.
- Introduces dietary and activity guidelines and an overview of behaviour change strategies.
- Following this a 9 week in-depth group program is offered.
Healthy Weight Management 9 week group program
- Following Why Weight? Clients can opt in to be assessed for a 9 week group program.
- The program assists clients in developing strategies to better manage their weight.
- The HWM team offers weekly input, including tailored advice to support long-term behaviour change.
- Group sessions run on a Thursday afternoon (currently the group runs online)
- We follow up with clients at 3 months & 6 months post completing the 9 week program
- Please note this is a group based intervention and patients need to be suitable for a group setting.
There is no charge for the HWM Programs.
How can you access this service?
Referrals are to be submitted to:
Phone: (03) 53206690
Fax: (03) 53203893
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.