We help people who have difficulty communicating because of developmental delays, stroke, brain injuries, cancer, learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, cerebral palsy, dementia and hearing loss, as well as other problems that can affect speech and language. We also help people who experience difficulties swallowing food and drink

What do we do?

Speech pathologists diagnose and treat communication disorders, including difficulties with speaking, listening, understanding language, reading, writing, social skills, stuttering and using voice. Speech Pathologists also assess and treat people with swallowing difficulties.

Who do we care for?

Speech Pathologists work with people of all ages and in a wide variety of clinical areas including:

  • Acute inpatient wards, particularly in general medical, neurology, oncology and intensive care, paediatrics and special care nursery
  • Subacute inpatient wards, particularly inpatient rehabilitation, geriatric evaluation and management and palliative care
  • Acute Specialist outpatient clinics
    • Paediatric Feeding Clinic
    • Voice Swallowing Airways Clinics which include specialist services such as:
      • Videofluoroscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (VFSS)
      • Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
      • Videostroboscopy for voice
      • Tracheostomy management
      • Laryngectomy care and management
    • Ballarat Regional Integrated Cancer Centre with services for people in both the radiation and medical oncology streams
    • Community rehabilitation programs in the outpatient setting and in people’s homes
    • Victorian Paediatric Rehabilitation Service (VPRS)
    • Community Health for preschool children and adults
    • Residential Aged Care Facilities including services to private facilities in Ballarat and the Grampians region
    • National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) adult participants who have progressive neurological disorders or acquired communication and swallowing difficulties such as those resulting from Stroke or head injury

How can you access this service?

While a patient in hospital, referrals can be provided by staff who are part of your treating team.

Referrals for Specialist Clinics, Community Programs, Community Health, Residential Aged Care and NDIS should be directed to Central Intake Triage. These referrals are triaged, prioritized and clients are contacted when an appointment becomes available.

Referrals for Paediatric Community Health Speech Pathology should be made using the Grampians Health Ballarat Paediatric Speech Pathology Referral form which can be sent to Central Intake Triage. 

Queen Elizabeth Centre


102 Ascot Street South
Ballarat VIC 3350


03 5320 3700

Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.