Adjusting to health issues can be stressful for patients and their significant others. Our Social Work Department provides guidance and assistance in this transitional time to patients, families and carers.
What do we do?
To minimise the negative impacts of illness and hospitalisation on patients the Social Work team provides patients with additional support to improve psychological and social functioning and ensure each patient’s social, emotional and cultural needs are met.
The Social Work Team meet with patients and family members to access care needs and the requirements for ongoing support services. Ongoing supports may include referral to other health and community services, to ensure a smooth transition from hospital to home.
Who do we care for?
- Inpatients at all Ballarat Health Services sites
- Outpatients who have been referred via a clinic at Ballarat Health Services
- People in the community whilst under specialist programs (HARP, Integrated Family Services)
- People in the community accessing BHS Community Programs (Victorian Pediatric Rehabilitation Service, Community Rehabilitation Clinic
What can you expect?
Social Workers may provide assistance with:
- Coordinating discharge from hospital and continuity of care
- Bereavement, grief and Loss support/counselling
- Access to housing
- Guidance and information when dealing with medico-legal and VCAT matters
- Risk assessments for child abuse and neglect, family violence, elder abuse, sexual abuse
- Adjustment to illness and lifestyle counselling
- Crisis assessment and intervention
- Mediation and resolving conflict between family members regarding decision making
- Assistance navigating the health care system
- Assistance with the transition to supported accommodation including: Residential Aged Care or Supported Accommodation (SRS and NDIS providers)
How can you access this service?
All patients of Ballarat Health Services can access the Social Work Department.
If you would like to meet with a Social Worker about your care please speak with your treating medical team and a referral to the Social Work Department can be placed on your behalf.
The Social Work Department will require a referral from the medical treating team to engage with patients.
1 Drummond Street North
Ballarat VIC 3350
8.30 am - 5.00 pm Monday to Friday
No weekend or on call service
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.