Ballarat Health Services acknowledges the Wathurong people, their Elders past and present. We recognise them as traditional custodians of the land on which we live and work.
What we do?
The Aboriginal Health team provide support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people accessing care at BHS. Our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officers and Koori Mental Health Liaison Officer work with BHS patients and their families, staff, volunteers and local communities to provide culturally appropriate care for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Who we care for?
This service assists all patients and community members who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander who are:
- An inpatient at a BHS site or hospital, including the Mental Health units
- Any patient referred to the service by a BHS clinic or external provider
- Community members engaged with specialist programs (HARP, Integrated Family Services, and Specialist Clinics)
- Clients of BHS Community Programs (Victorian Paediatric Rehabilitation Service, Community Rehabilitation Clinic)
What to expect?
Our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officers may assist with:
- Ensuring hospital services are culturally appropriate, safe, welcoming and meet the health needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients
- Provide assistance with accessing information and referrals for community services and supports.
- Ensuring Aboriginal people have access to all BHS services
- Identify and address barriers for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people that may prevent them from using BHS
How to access this service?
This service can be accessed across all Ballarat Health Services sites and programs. If you would like to speak with our Aboriginal Health Liaison Officer or the Koori Mental Health Liaison Officer about you or a family members care, please ask the treating medical team, who can refer you.
1 Drummond Street North
Ballarat VIC 3350
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm
Please note - no weekend or on call service available
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.