Ballarat Health Services credentialing process is in line with Victoria’s Credentialing and scope of practice for senior medical practitioner’s policy. All of our Medical and Dental applications are submitted to our Medical Credentialing and Appointment Committee for approval. Initial approval is for one year, and renewals are for three years.
All senior clinical staff who have an independent responsibility for patient care are credentialed.
Ballarat Health Services uses Equifax to credential all senior clinical staff, and you will be sent a request from Equifax to complete your online application against your scope of practice. https://myclinicalprofile.com.au/
Credentialing is the formal process of assessing a health care professional's qualifications, training, experience and clinical competence in relation to their role within BHS.
The Requirements for a new application is as follows:
- Application (through Equifax)
- Resume (updated within last 12 months)
- Medical Qualifications (Primary Degree and Fellowship)
- Current Medical Indemnity Certificate (Certified or email directly CredentialSOP@bhs.org.au )
- Current Police Check (within last 12 months)
- International Police Check (If lived overseas for 12 months or longer during the past 10 years) https://www.fit2work.com.au/individualCheck/ichc or https://aisintl.com.au/ahpra-application/
- Continuous professional development Certificate
- BHS Provider Number (via form or online https://www.humanservices.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/proda ). For new specialist you also need to complete Specialist recognition form.
- Prescriber Number
- References *2
- Victorian working with children, if you have one, can you please add BHS to this, and send/upload a copy of BHS being added to your working with children. This is only if you already have one.
- Evidence of scope of practice requirements (as per BHS
Please post the following items to Kate Robson |Chief Medical Office |Ballarat Health Services, Level 4, BRICC |P.O. BOX 577, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350
- 100 points of ID certified (wet ink copies not electronic copies)
- Medical Qualifications (only if they are not listed on AHPRA, then they need to be wet ink certified)
Once all of your credentialing application is completed and approved, the contract process will commence. Please contact credentialing through CredentialSOP@bhs.org.au or phone 5320 8946
Prior to commencement senior clinical staff will need to return and complete all required documentation to People and Culture, Infection Control and Credentialing.
Ballarat Health Services Defining the Credentialing and Scope of Clinical Practice for Senior Medical and Dental Staff
BHS Provider Number application form (preference is to complete the application online through PRODA, although you will need the form to answer some questions). https://www.humanservices.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/proda )
Specialist recognition form (for new specialists to be completed prior to provider application) https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/forms/hw077
BHS Senior Medical Staff Handbook
Scope of Practice
Scope of practice
- Each clinical discipline has a defined scope of core clinical practice as defined in the Ballarat Health Services Defining the Credentialing and Scope of Clinical Practice for Senior Medical and Dental Staff. Senior medical staff, and may also apply for additional advanced scope of practice which requires specific credentialing as specified in the guidelines.
- Core scope of practice: the routine expectations of clinical service that are a normal part of training for a member of the relevant unit, and in keeping with the practitioner's qualifications and training are considered to be usual practice or agreed usual clinical privileges.
- Advanced scope of practice: specific clinical areas of expertise, usually requiring additional training or specialised expertise, such as procedures or treatments that may be performed by only a few members of the relevant unit, are considered to be advanced scope of practice or agreed special clinical privileges. This usually requires individual procedures or categories of treatments/procedures to be specified as included in the individual practitioner's advanced scope of practice.
For further information please contact the Credentialing Officer via email CredentialSOP@bhs.org.au or phone 03 5320 8946.
Have something to tell us? We welcome all feedback from patients, family members or carers. Tell us more.