Statewide Equipment Program

You are here

Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS)

What is the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS)?

ACAS is the Victorian Commonwealth funded service which assesses the care needs of older people assisting them to access the most appropriate types of care, including approval for Australian Government subsidised care services.

A person may be approved to receive one or more of the following types of care:

  • Residential Care
  • Residential Respite Care
  • Home Care Package
  • Transition Care Program
  • Short Term Restorative Care

ACAS aims to:

  • Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the physical, psychological, medical, restorative, cultural and social needs of people and to assist them and their carers access appropriate levels of support.
  • Provide information and refer clients to services that are appropriate and available, including facilitating access to broader community services such as Commonwealth Home Support Package (CHSP) (previously HACC - Home and Community Care), mental health or disability services to meet their needs and preferences.
  • Provide assessments which respect the diversity of:
    • people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
    • people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
    • people who live in rural or remote areas
    • people who are financially or socially disadvantaged
    • veterans
    • people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
    • care-leavers
    • parents separated from their children by forced adoption or removal
    • lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and diverse gender and intersex people

Aged Care Assessment Programme Guidelines May 2015

What is the Grampians Aged Care Assessment Service?

The Grampians Aged Care Assessment Service (GACAS) is auspiced by Ballarat Health Services. This regional team of health professionals assess the needs of frail older people and younger people with disabilities (where required) to facilitate access to care services appropriate to their needs.

An ACAS Medical assessment by a Geriatrician can also be provided.

When is an ACAT assessment needed?

Assessments are needed to access:

  • Residential Aged Care   
  • Residential Respite Care
  • Home Care Packages    
  • Flexible Care
    • Transition Care Program
    • Short Term Restorative Care

Who should be referred?

People requiring any of the above services who are:

  • over 65 years of age; or
  • over 50 and Indigenous; and
  • who have complex care needs and are no longer able to manage at home without assistance.

Young people with a disability may be assessed in some circumstances.

People with a disability may be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS):

Where do I find further information?

Visit My Aged Care to find out more about aged care and to locate your nearest ACAS.

The My Aged Care phone line (1800 200 422) will assist people to access information about aged care.

Waiting List

Grampians ACAS has a waiting list. Client referrals are triaged and prioritised according to individual needs.

Area Serviced

Grampians Region

Local Government Areas (LGA):

  • City of Ballarat
  • Moorabool Council
  • Golden Plains
  • Hepburn Shire
  • Pyrenees Shire
  • Ararat Regional Council
  • Northern Grampians Shire
  • Horsham Regional Council
  • West Wimmera Shire
  • Hindmarsh Shire
  • Yarriambiack Shire


The Service is free.

Referral Information 

Any referral to a Grampian ACAS should include the following core pieces of information:

Referrer details (including contact information)

  • Client location
  • Purpose of referral/reason for assessment
  • Current medical and medication information
  • Client consent
  • Formal and informal support name and contact details (including other people who need to be present at the assessment)
  • Need for an interpreter

For ACAS Medical assessment referrals please indicate clearly that the referral is for a Geriatrician assessment.

Referrals which do not include sufficient information may incur delays.

Referral process

For clients in the community:

Referrals to be sent via My Aged Care.

Referrals can be made to My Aged Care in the following ways:  

For clients in the community and who are under 65:

Referrals to be sent via My Aged Care.

Referrals can be made to My Aged Care as above.

If referral to MAC is unsuccessful due to client’s age then refer directly to Central Intake:

For clients who are currently in regional hospitals:

Referrals to be sent directly to Central Intake via RIMS or Connectingcare.

Central Intake Fax: 5320 3893 or

SCTT forms required for referral:

  • Grampians ACAS cover sheet
  • SCTT 2009 Consumer consent (All areas to be completed including Proposed Information Uses and Disclosures)
  • SCTT 2009 Consumer information
  • SCTT 2009 Living and Caring arrangements
  • SCTT 2009 Summary and Referral Information (ACAS) (All areas including Referral Action Plan to be completed)

For ACAS Medical assessment referrals:

Referrals from GP to be sent directly to Central Intake.

Central Intake Fax: 5320 3893 or

Referral needs to include:

  • Any previous imaging (eg. CT brain) if available and the following blood tests: FBE, U&E, B12, Folate, CMP, TFT, CTB

How to make a complaint

If you have a concern about the performance of a team member or about an ACAS decision regarding care, please contact the manager of the ACAS.

Grampians ACAS Location

George Skerritt West Wing
Queen Elizabeth Centre
102 Ascot St South

Direct Contact

Phone (03) 5320 3740
Fax (03) 5320 3660

Useful links

Introducing My Aged Care | My Aged Care

Finding an aged care service

Finding respite

Making a complaint

Five Steps to Entry into an Aged Care Home

Your Guide to Home Care Package Services

The National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Ageing and Aged Care Strategy

The National Ageing and Aged Care Strategy for People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Backgrounds

Younger Onset Dementia Resources

Alzheimer’s Australia